What Is The Bottom Of A Shoe Called? – Types And Layers
How much do you know about your pair of shoes? Sure, you know the brand or the style. But if you will be asked to name specific parts, I don't think many can identify them. Do you know what is the bottom of a shoe called, its layers and materials? Almost all of us wear shoes every day. But you will be surprised that there's a lot you don't know about it yet.
The Sole Layers
So, what is the bottom of a shoe called? It's what we call a sole. Usually, a sole is assembled in three different layers. The thickness of each layer would depend on the style of the shoes.
- The outsole. The outsole is the underside of the shoe. It's the layer that touches the ground. It can be made of different materials, but the most typical one is rubber. The outsole needs to have grip property and durability. It is also important for it to be water-resistant.
- The midsole. The midsole is what you can find in the middle of the outsole and insole. It usually acts as a cushion and shock absorber. The thickness of the layer is dependent on the type of shoes. Like for example, for rubber shoes, the midsole should be thicker while flat sandals have a thin layer.
- The insole. The insole is the inner part of the shoe that comes in contact with your foot or socks when worn. A firm insole provides more structure and torsional stability.
Different Types Of Soles
Rubber is the typical material used as sole for your shoes. However, it is not the only one you can use. There are other materials shoe manufacturers use, too, depending on the shoe style.
- Rubber soles. Rubber soles come in a variety too. There's resin, crepe, gristle, and Polyurethane rubber. Rubber is considered to be a good material due to its durability and good resistance quality.
- Leather soles. This type of sole has good breathable quality. Leather-soled shoes tend to be a bit stiff, especially during the first few times you wear them, but it gets better eventually. This type of sole is sturdier compared to rubber and tend to last longer. It's also easier to replace. Shoe manufacturers either use genuine or synthetic leather material.
- Cork soles. Cork is a water-resistant and good flexible material. It is the material used for sustainable shoes. It also has odor resistant quality that prevents the shoes from smelling. Another good feature of cork-soled shoes is their orthopedic support making them very comfortable to wear. This type of sole is usually recommended, especially to those who frequently have foot joint pain.
The sole is an important part of every shoe as it provides protection and comfort to the feet. The shoes may come in a lot of styles, colors, and designs but aside from how it looks, always go for what is comfortable for you.