How To Design Jewelry? – Tips For Newbies
Jewelry is said to be a woman's best friend. It gives a boost of confidence and beauty to anyone who wears it. That's why, apart from quality, the design is also a priority. Designing your own pieces of jewelry is not really that complicated. But sometimes, you should also have an eye for fashion to make your design work. So in this article, let's tackle how to design jewelry in case you intend to start it as a business or for your own personal use.
Designing Jewelry From Scratch
If you've never made a piece of jewelry before and want to try creating one, this method means you will do all the work from planning your design to making it come to life, so you may want to start with something easy.
- Look for inspiration. Browse some fashion sites on the internet for inspiration. You can check out some magazines or shows on television. Searching for inspiration can't just be in one place. Sometimes, you can get ideas in things you least expect.
- Sketch. Once you found your inspiration, start sketching your own design. Be creative and be original. You can use a sketchbook to draw your design and list down the materials you need to make it. You may also search for tutorials on how to make a specific design, so you'll have an idea of what other materials you need to make your piece.
- Think of the color and shape. Part of how to design jewelry is figuring out the color and shape you would like to incorporate in your masterpiece. If you play with a variety of colors, you have to make sure that they go together. This is the same thing with the shape. Figure out the shape of the frame or the other shapes you want to incorporate in your main design.
- Consider the wearability. Wearability refers to the state of the object to be worn. Make sure that the jewelry you will make is not too big or not too heavy. You also need to make sure the materials you will use are safe.
- Gather materials. Now that you have the full sketch of the design go to the store and gather all the materials you need. Then start making your jewelry.
Designing Jewelry In Other Ways
If you want to design a piece of jewelry but don't want to do all the work, there are other ways you can do it. First, you can get a jeweler and have your design made. All you need to do here is draw the design and the material you want to use. The jeweler will do the rest of the work of making your sketch.
The next method is to design your jewelry online. Sites like Jewell and Wize Gem enables you to create your design on your computer via downloaded software. Once you are done, all you need to do is submit the design and pay the fee. The manufacturer will make it and ship it to you. How convenient is that?
Learning how to design jewelry isn't really as easy as it sounds. Suppose you want to be really good at it and want to make it a business, research, and practice. You can also attend jewelry making workshops to be trained by professionals.