How To Clean Stainless Steel Jewelry Using Pantry Items
People love to buy stainless jewelry because of their affordable price, durability, and corrosion-resistance. However, this does not mean that it will not need maintenance. Sooner or later, like most jewelry items, its luster will fade, and dirt will start to accumulate in tight areas. This is when you must do how to clean stainless steel jewelry.
Luckily, cleaning these items only requires ingredients that are already in your pantry. Check out the different methods below and choose which to try.
The easiest way to learn how to clean stainless steel jewelry is to simply use water and vinegar. Vinegar is known to be a gentle all-around cleaner. It is cheap, and always available in your pantry. It is also a natural germ-killer, so you do not only restore the luster of your items, but disinfects them, too.
Here is how it is done:
- Mix equal parts of vinegar and water.
- Put it on a spray bottle.
- Spray onto your stainless-steel jewelries.
- Rub the items with a soft cloth. Spray some more solution if needed.
- Spray and rub until you recover the shine.
If your jewelry has hard-to-reach areas, for example, you need to know how to clean a stainless-steel chain, you can the item in the solution and soak it for about 15 minutes. After taking it out, rinse it with water pressure to take out the disintegrated particles. Then, use the soft cloth to wipe and recover the shine.
Vinegar and Baking Soda
If you think that you need a stronger stainless steel jewelry cleaner to remove heavier dirt, try this another method that uses baking soda aside from vinegar.
- Add 3 parts baking soda into every part of water.
- Stir them until you create a paste-like mixture.
- Brush your jewelry using a soft brush or a toothbrush that has been dipped into the paste. Focus on the engraved parts or those that are hard-to-reach. Adjust your pressure if you must.
- Once satisfied will the brushing, leave the jewelry with mixture.
- After at least 3 minutes, gently brush the jewelry again.
- When you are done doing the brushing, fill another container with ½ cup of vinegar.
- Drop the jewelry into the vinegar and observe the reaction. Bubbles will come out to further remove dirt from your jewelry. IMPORTANT: do not let the jewelry stay in the vinegar for more than a few minutes.
- Fill another container with warm water.
- Drop your jewelry to the bowl of warm water to rinse any paste residue.
- As a final step, remove the jewelry from the water and dry it off with a soft cloth.
Knowing how to clean stainless steel jewelry will make your items in good condition for a longer time. Stainless steel is hard to break. So, if you want to continue using them to rock any outfit, make sure to maintain them from time to time.